The suspended ZIFA board has resumed duties after filing an appeal at the Administrative Court on Thursday to set aside their initial suspension by the Sport and Recreation Commission (SRC) pending finalisation of the matter.
The Felton Kamambo led board said they had made the appeal as a way of respecting available local legal remedies for for the purpose o clearing their names which had been unfairly.
The Board said they also saw the need to get back in office “so as to provide a yawning leadership gap to our
national game which was rendered leaderless for two weeks with dire consequences chief among them the recent challenges regarding the under 17 boys and girls camp where those in charge came short with regards to the safety of the players in camp chief among them failure to follow their own set health protocols for protection of athletes
before they began camp and such resulted with over 80% of athletes and officials being infected with Covid.”
ZIFA said Zimbabwe’s AFCON preparations have also gone off rails as limited time is left for appointment of coaches, player invitations, camping preparations, fundraising initiatives among other logistical arrangements.
“The legal effect of the appeal is to among other things immediately suspend the decision by the SRC to suspend the ZIFA board meaning the ZIFA Board is fully back by operation of law pending the finalisation of the matter
by the administrative court,” ZIFA said in a statement signed by previously suspended general secretary, Joseph Mamutse.
“The board also resolved to out of courtesy and respect, officially write to the SRC to formally inform them of the Board resumption of duty after noting of the appeal. It is the Board’s hope that SRC being a creature of statute will respect our own laws and allow football to breath while engagements with FIFA and court processes are attended to,” ZIFA said.
“The Board reiterate and for the good of football its willingness to work with progressive persons, institutions and regulator for the development of our game. The board does not believe that ambushing each other with suspensions in what was supposed to be a cordial meeting is the way to go for our beautiful country. Further the board will also seek and remind the SRC for their approval of the Warriors to participate in the AFCON 2022 as is required.”